I am researching and working really hard to salvage the rest of what we have growing. It seems that we got a second growth period, because the first one was thwarted by the drought. We FINALLY got a little bit of rain, and magically EVERYTHING sprouted and began growing again. Now, I am being threatened with the first hard freeze and I am running out of time!
Braden and I pulled out 5 of the 28 tomato plants and pulled off all the green tomatoes. My plan is to layer them in cardboard produce flats and tissue paper and store them in the basement. I am told that they will slowly ripen and that I could possibly have fresh, red tomatoes through Christmas, possibly longer. We will see...I will definitely make sure update with the results of that experiment.
Here is what we accomplished yesterday...
Five plants down...23 to go! :) As you can see, everything has grown and made a big mess, so we have a lot of clean up to do. I am confident we will get it done, and if not...well, I will just turn the pigs out on it. I am sure they would LOVE to help out! The ducks are a little annoyed - they like to forage in there and we really disturbed their favorite area!